The following information is retrieved from PWD’s Your Watershed Site for Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed. Click the link for further details on each one of the watersheds
- Area: drains approximately 33 square miles
- Stream Miles: approximately 32 linear miles
- Population: approximately 360,000 residents
- Impervious Cover: approximately 48% impervious
- Counties / Municipalities: encompasses areas of Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties, with all or parts of five municipalities, including Abington, Cheltenham, Jenkintown, Rockledge, and Springfield
The Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed is full of vibrant neighborhoods and vast potential, and its distinct physical character lends opportunities for social and ecological improvement. Waterways and underground infrastructure stitch together many diverse communities in Montgomery and Philadelphia counties. All neighborhoods in this watershed drain to the creek, making it important for people to share responsibility for its health and work together to manage stormwater. Several demonstration projects using green infrastructure to reduce stormwater runoff have already become sources of community pride.
Given the wide range of demographics within the watershed, one could imagine the creek serving as a meeting place for relaxation, recreation, inspiration, and community connection. In addition, numerous existing core trails within the watershed and along the creek have inspired municipalities to explore plans to connect these trails into a cohesive network; this would become a common thread among the watershed’s neighborhoods. Implementing strategic changes, restoring the creek environment, and committing to responsible stewardship will improve water quality and habitat while progressing toward realizing the watershed’s exciting, inherent potential.
- Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed Partnership Inc.
- Within the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed exists a myriad of spirited residents, community groups, businesses, and institutions that advocate partnership opportunities to protect and enhance watershed and waterway resources. Learn more about these stewards, their initiatives, and how you can make a difference in the Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershed.
For more information on the partners click here.